View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 10:51 PM

If a five year wait translates to how long it must take before everyone gets on board with this rezoning plan, then so be it.
Basically, from what I understand about the whole process, three civic groups are pressuring Cuomo to either delay or stop it based on the damage that Sandy did...which incidentally makes zero sense because the storm hit Manhattan quite a distance away from the area in question, never mind the fact that a storm like that occurs maybe once in a few decades and follows a path that few can accurately determine.

All that said, my fingers are crossed to their fracturing points for this baby to rise. It reminds me of Mr. Libeskind's original Freedom Tower design, but with decidedly more sensible proportions. The overall dimensions of the open-air latticework IMO will create an iconic presence; plus it goes a good way towards relieving me of the notion that this is little more than a Chrysler/BofA lovechild.

What I would *really* love to see is a CGI image of this tower from a multitude of perspectives, as pedestrian-view drawings like these convey a generally bad idea of what *really* is on display. Facade treatment in this regard will be most revealing (i.e. not *necessarily* make-or-break, but approaching that criterion IMO). Close-ups of the top (detail, construction materials) are something to look forward to as well.

My sole concern is geometry. Perhaps what should have been done instead of the diamondesque shaping that BofA, HY North & Coach, *and* 200G already demonstrate, is a pointed ellipse like L.A.'s Gas Company tower. *That* would've been impressive, as NYC in general is lacking in generally circular or ovular design.
2ยข

Last edited by JayPro; Dec 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM.