View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 28, 2012, 8:00 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
I caught a bit on Fox News yesterday saying the site was the NW corner of Sheffield and Fullerton, which was previously pegged as a visitors center/offices/residential for DePaul, and that they'd have to partially go underground. I don't really see how that site would work though, particularly with traffic.
Yep.
Quote:
http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/spor...field-20120327

DePaul University Plans to Build New Basketball Arena on Fullerton and Sheffield: Exclusive

Plan pending trustee approval

Updated: Wednesday, 28 Mar 2012, 2:48 PM CDT
Published : Tuesday, 27 Mar 2012, 10:29 PM CDT

By Joanie Lum, FOX Chicago News

Chicago - It's long been a desire of students and alumni to be able to attend basketball games near the campus.

FOX Chicago's Lou Canellis reports that the preferred location is Fullerton and Sheffield, where DePaul already has a parking lot.

That corner is steps away from the CTA Fullerton stop on the edge of campus. If it happens, would mean the influx of 10,000-12,000 fans coming to the neighborhood to attend a Blue Demons basketball game, in what already is considered a congested area..........

There were rumors about other locations: the Finkl Steel plant on Cortland and the Morton Salt Company on Elston.

The university did not have a comment about specific locations. But DePaul did send out a statement:

"A proposal to explore opportunities that address this... is among many ideas on a wide range of issues that are part of the current draft of the university's next long-range strategic plan. The strategic plan is pending trustee approval. The university has a great relationship with Allstate Arena, where the men's program has played the last 32 seasons and we most recently hosted the women's NCAA 1st and 2nd rounds this season."

The contract with Allstate Arena ends in 2015.