View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 1:10 PM
Vires acquirit eundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
i have always gotten a strange feeling from (photographs and secondhand accounts of) brisbane, and i can't place it. it is as if this city is displaced or pastless or detached somehow. i can't get a good sense of the role it plays in australia's national consciousness. i don't have any sense of how it sees itself.
Unfortunately for Brisbane, it's not really a destination for most people going to Queensland - they're usually heading for the Gold Coast (50-100km to the south east on the coast) or the Sunshine Coast (50-100km to the north) or Far North Queensland (1-2 hours flying time from Brisbane waaayyy up north).

Brisbane is the capital city in one of the most decentralised states - only about ~40-50% of Queensland's population lives in its metro - compare to 75% of Victorians live in Melbourne and 65-70% of New South Welshmen live in Sydney.

just for everyone's info - the photos (if you hadnt noticed) are mixed - Beachy/Pothead/Tatooed people: Byron, the rest are in Brisbane including the hinterland photos.