View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 5:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Isn't that old pharmacy by 351 still in operation? And Theatre Pharmacy is close at the bottom of Long's Hill.

Agreed about the lack of a grocery. There used to be a market at the east end of Water Street but I think that's folded into the new farmers market on Freshwater.

At least all of these things are met within a couple blocks of downtown so it's not like you have to go right out to the suburbs. They'd only have to come to my neighbourhood at the farthest.
I never had the impression that downtown St. John's was missing some of these essentials. Always thought of it as a pretty comprehensive (if small) downtown.

Downtown Gatineau (which is the island of Hull across from Parliament Hill) is missing a grocery story but has at least two pharmacies and a bunch of other stuff like small shops, etc. Though you can't do all of your shopping there. There is no traditional downtown shopping street in the area. It used to have a grocery store maybe 20 or so years ago and the city and residents have been working to get one back ever since. No success yet.

Of course, you can walk to Ottawa's Byward Market in about 20-30 minutes from most of Vieux-Hull, and the Wrightville district of Hull/Gatineau which has grocery stores, a mall and quite a few more shops is about the same distance in the other direction.

It's still surprising that we don't have more stuff in Vieux-Hull. Its resident population is about 10,000 (about the same as downtown St. John's) but its daytime population is probably in the 50,000 range due to all the office buildings there.