View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
So AMLI has quickly become one of the downtown developers I loathe the most.....I assume I'm in some pretty good company here as there's plenty of cause.

Real estate newletter Bisnow Chicago had some coverage last week of a multifamily summit they held downtown. I found it very interesting that they included a bit on Greg Putz - er, correction - Mutz, Chairman of AMLI's take on retail space in multifamily buildings. He has an unfavorable view, surprise, surprise. Excert from Bisnow:

"And from the sound of it, Greg has had his fill of urban planners, often besotted with the streetscapes of the livelier cities of Europe, forcing multifamily developers to include retail that cannot and does not work at the site. The retailers, he said, might as well bring a bankruptcy lawyer to the lease signing."

Lovely. That's his (their) attitude. We already know AMLI doesn't give a flying fu*k about quality architecture downtown, about smart site design, parking issues, etc, and now this seeming outright hostility to incorporating streetfront retail into their properties is just the blossoming colony of bubonic plague bacteria hidden in AMLI's steaming pile of horsesh*t. Just how anti-urban do they feel they need to be and just how anti-urban will Chicago's politicians and planners (read: politicians) allow them to get? Something to look forward to , as they have one POS under construction in River North, a planned POS in design in the South Loop, and who knows what subsequently.....
It is something to keep in mind now isn't it...