View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 12, 2005, 3:28 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

There is nobody to blame for lack of an Arena deal except for the people who live in the city and county of Sacramento. Repeatedly deals have surfaced that would have placed the taxes on visitors using our hotels rooms and rental car facilities and still the public here ins't behind the Arena. Some people have their heads in the Tule Fog and are in denial to the fact the the Maloofs would ever leave Sacramento (which is a false assumption). Others who don't believe Arco needs to be replaced (which is another lie). And still others that believe the Maloofs can build it themselves and could still put a winning team on the floor.

Here's my take.

This should go to the ballot with various tax increase proposals.

Rental cars, Hotel rooms, maybe even liquor. If the people of Sacramento vote it down then there will be nobody to blame but ourselves. It's time for people in this region to put up our shut up. If we can't get it done, I wont blame the Maloofs if they choose to move.

While I genuinely admire Tsakopoulos for trying, he has his own interests at stake. (That's o.k. by me). But what's not o.k. with me is the idea of opening up more open space to yet more sprawl. I wouldn't vote for this and I doubt many in Sacramento will. We need to be discouraging sprawl and providing real alternatives for people who want to return downtown.

I would hate to lose the Kings, but I don't think we would have to, if people in Sacramento would take the time and pull their heads out of their butts. A tax on rental cars, liquor, and hotel rooms will be born by visitors and those of us who like to have a drink now and again.

But to open up the "Northern Territories" north of Natomas or to open Eastern Sacramento County, would contradict what we're trying to do downtown.

one more thing.... I am a basketball fanatic. I love the Kings. But I do not believe for a second that Sacramento has to have a major league sport to validate itself or make it feel good about who it is.

Create a relaible, clean and expanded mass transit system (which we're doing), invest in schools, cultural amenities, the central city and this will still be a desirable destination for people and companies looking to relocate here.

We should try to keep the Kings, but there are better ways of doing it besides trading an Arena for more sprawl.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Oct 12, 2005 at 4:13 PM.