View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 4:50 PM
momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtraveler View Post
I know we do notice this more about Portland buildings because we are here and we care more about this city, but yes, I see this often in the other threads. Really disappointed about this one though! It would have been neat to have a new tall one!
I know this is an architecture site, but really at times it is not as much about the architecture that forces changes. Some are economically driven. I hate to state the obvious here, but it has to be said. At times; money, politics, zoning, growth, absorption, market forces...and even costs and availability of construction labor and materials. Even as currently downsized, this project is a VERY ambitious project. It is a catalyst to the area, and not only fills in surface parking lots, but also injects housing…people actually living in the area. A HUGE and much NEEDED change. On top of that this is really more like four projects when you include the underground parking. It is being proposed to happen simultaneously. What is the last project in Portland that saw that kind of construction all at once? The Brewery Blocks is the only one I can think of? Not even South Waterfront.

The Lloyd Blocks project is an urban infill project. It is easy to be a downer about projects when they change, but the big play here is that something is actually moving forward. Now if the Architects and designers could do whatever they wanted, then I am sure it would be a beautiful and lush place.