View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:38 AM
Fourth and Main

Streetcar Stops

Source: HDR

The 34-storey Wells Fargo Center (marked on the map as Wells Fargo) is the city's tallest skyscraper. The area labeled as "research park" with a site plan in a red tint is the "IQ District," which is an "Innovation District" on the east side of downtown.

Union Station is in the Columbian Heights neighborhood, at Winston-Salem State University. I think train stations along the outer edge of downtown was a big fad for cities at that time? They had a place for streetcars to circle around and so does Winston-Salem's Union Station. Winston-Salem also had a massive international rail port on the east side of downtown and land around it was very valuable (too valuable for a passenger station). Union Station will become the streetcar maintenance yard, with a stop at the door, as shown on the map. You can also see where the other transportation center is.

They will open it with city and maybe regional bus service and add streetcar service after the streetcar system is built. It would also become the main hub for proposed light rail in the future. There aren't any plans right now for Amtrack, but the city has brought-up Amtrack at every discussion involving Union Station and said they want this station ready so they can gain Amtrack service. This was the gateway to the Appalachians, so I expect vacation trains, like Asheville or Boone, if that ever happens? Today Winston-Salem's Yadkin River Valley metro area is North Carolina's wine country as well, which could lead to a wine train.

The city has done some work to Union Station, including a new roof, if I'm not mistaken? Restoration is estimated at around $9-10 million and the streetcar maintenance yard at Union Station is estimated at $9 million. $18 million in bonds (no voter approval required) will be used for the work.