View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 11:50 PM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2018 in Washington DC

I last visited Washington DC over 10 years ago and vowed to return to explore the museums once again in a dedicated trip. Thanks to my mileage account, I was able to redeem a free flight for a short 3-day excursion for more in-depth exploration. The architecture was grand and well-maintained. Beggars were not easy to spot and the security presence seemed more subtle in most areas. Big Brother didn't seem to be too obviously watching over everyone.

The good impression began with the metro system, whose stations were well-maintained and had decent architecture. A smart card would give seemless access to both trains and buses. However, I wished there were better discounts for transferring between the two.

Union Station was saved from neglect and now is both a major transport hub and shopping mall.

Future and current lawyers should visit the US Supreme Court and hear a few controversial cases.

Bookworms should head next door to the Library of Congress. There are many exhibits and the building is quite elaborately decorated. Unfortunately, the main reading room is not easily accessible so I settled with the viewing gallery only upstairs.

Be sure to pop by the glass box to see the Gutenberg Bible.

The National Museum of the American Indian showcases the various indigeneous groups' cultures, their history of interaction with the invading white men, treaty betrayal, and final eviction from their homelands.

You can spend days exploring the free museums along the National Mall. Great collections won't cost you an arm and a leg to enjoy.

More next or visit my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/washington.htm