View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 4:10 AM
(daka_x)

And again:
SkyTrain technology declared for 60km outer belt metro in Tokyo

SkyTrain technology (linear motor propulsion, with automated operation) has been declared for a major investment in rail rapid transit in the outer boroughs of the city of Tokyo, Japan – the world’s largest metropolitan area with over 38 million people residing.
CASE STUDY LINK: 平成25年 – 度区部周辺部環状公共交通に係る調査 – 概報告
English: 2013 Fiscal –Outer Ward Circumferential Public Transit Study – Summary Report

Interestingly they're actually reverting to a Mark I-esque 12m car length as with Okinawa, now citing that it will allow for even smaller tunnels and tighter curve radii. I can imagine that as with Vancouver, some lines will allow for interoperability of these trains.

Top: Standard rotary subway car; middle: 16m "Kannawa" linear motor spec (Yokohama, Fukuoka, Kobe, etc); bottom: new "Smart Linear Metro" spec (Okinawa, Tokyo)

Kawasaki is also considering SkyTrain tech for their proposed metro (finding 26% in capital cost savings) - but as far as I'm aware it's a close tie with a standard rotary metro, because the latter would allow for through-running with some existing JR and private railway lines, which would improve the business case.

Last edited by xd_1771; Dec 7, 2014 at 4:24 AM.