Thread: NCC Greenbelt
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 27, 2011, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
Remember the purpose of the NCC. They exist for the sole purpose of looking after/improving the capital of Canada, not the City of Ottawa. It would be perverse for them to have bought the SMH - what value does this land out in Kanata have to Canadians as a whole??? If arguably it does (biodiversity, unique nature of the ecosystem, endangered species, whatever), this is certainly no different an importance than similar plots elsewhere in the country, and should be covered by Parks Canada rather than the NCC.
I disagree. The SMH was very much an asset to the capital, and is actually closer than 90% of gatineau park. Ottawa is over twice the size they predicted for this time back then. You aren't thinking BIG enough. My whole point is they should start thinking bigger as well. Why limit the distance of NCC administered lands so much? I think they should push out and acquire more diverse lands and promote and protect them as assets of the capital, and dump some of agricultural land that could improve density in the core, saving the city hundreds of millions in infrastructure extension as it grows. The central experimental farm is lovely and should be preserved, but the farrmland around bells corners and between hunt club and barrhaven (for example) is really a big huge waste, and a mistake...in my opinion it has to go. In the 2006 census there were 1,451,000 people in the CMA. When the greber plan was made there were only 200,000 and change.....