View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
Ideally it would be transported to an off-site facility, as is generally the case with similar rooftop gardens (at least from my experience). I have no idea whether Nanjing has such facilities, but I'm sure there would be demand for fresh, uncontaminated compost in such a large city.
Demand for it IN a large city or on farms surrounding a large city. We be doin' that.

Quote:
April 18, 2012,

(San Francisco) knew that if it wanted to have a large-scale, city-wide composting program to make an actual dent in the overall waste stream, it would have to be mandatory. Its pilot program had shown that not only food scraps but yard trimmings, coffee cups, greasy pizza boxes and even milk and juice cartons could be broken down at Jepson Prairie Organics, a compost facility about 55 miles east of San Francisco in Vacaville. From there, the nutrient-rich organic fertilizer -- perfect for reconditioning soil due to its diverse feedstock -- could be distributed to surrounding farms, which in turn sell their produce to SF residents and restaurants, thus closing the loop locally.

After the board of supervisors passed the Mandatory Recycling and Composting Ordinance in 2009, people quickly adapted to the new green carts. According to the San Francisco Department of the Environment, hundreds of thousands of residents and over 5,000 restaurants and other businesses now send over 600 tons of food scraps and other compostable material each day to Jepson Prairie.
http://www.alternet.org/story/155039...e_town_by_2020

Here, whatever drops from those buildings would just join the stream.

But I agree--there's a lot of manhours and cost there in maintenance, both of the greenery and of the underlying structure.

Locally sourced, organic grapes anyone?