View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 8:48 PM

You know what? It just may be the case, what with my having forgotten than the address of this tower is indeed 57th.
That said, I tend to think that this tower's fine-tuning in design seems to be more in keeping with the socioeconomic status of tenants that are being sought. Here it's also worth pointing out that all the other giants planned for this strip of real estate have designs that essentially think outside of the box re "boxiness". Any rounded edges? No. Fancy curves? No. Not on any one of them.
IMO Hudson Yards and vicinity is where the next step in genuine innovation in American skyscraper design is really going to manifest itself (i.e. 10 & 30H, Corset, Equinox and Girasole for now). Of course, Lower Manhattan/FiDi saw its piece of the action start with NYBG@8 Spruce. Now it's 56L, and pretty soon 90-94 Fulton, 101 Tribeca and whatever Michael Shvo intentds to knock us of our feet with at 22 Thames.
The relative sobriety to the north, however and for the time being, is something I can't put my finger on. A nod to historic architectural precedence? Maybe. But there seems to be a reason why the 57th Street NKOTB's are striking for their height; but not exactly for what might be called pioneering form.