View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
This is the same crap people were talking about with One57, now people can't live without it!
Let me take it one step further with the Twins. Before WTC was built, these two brazen steel monoliths with nary an architectural embellishment on either one stood over Downtown like two basketball players in a room full of jockeys. It came to be that the very qualities for which they were mercilessly panned by critics all around were soon forgotten after 9-11. Every bad word spoken against them seemed to be forgiven and eventual hopes rose that what would rise in their stead would be just as good if not better.

My point here is that all NYC skyscrapers--even the still-maligned MetLife/PanAm building--sooner or later achieved welcome status in the skyline pantheon. This will be no different at the very least. I mean, look at how much earth and rock has been excavated already to give this big baby its proper foundation. Going forward, this will easily take fourth place in terms of watching things happen behind, respectively:

1. The Birth of Hudson Yards

2. The (hopefuly ) eventual completion of WTC (175 & 200G)

and

3. The Rise of 111 W57th. Throw in the eventual greenlighting of MidTown East for good luck........