View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 2:58 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv View Post
I'm not sure that even if we didn't have the current 500 foot height limit in place that we would instantly start seeing towers pop up over 500 feet.

If building demand was such why aren't more towers regularly hitting that 500 foot limit now. I'm not saying you wouldn't see a 500+ foot tower but it doesn't seem the city is suffering from a great demand to hit or break that 500 foot mark.

I think it's more important that the city of San Diego continue its downtown growth in a organic manner. It's not so much about size as it is the vibe the city creates. It has a lot of good parts in it already but still needs certain pieces to make it great which have nothing to do with its height (although I'm in the camp it does hurt the city to some degree but I don't agree it's some death blow).
I disagree. Just look at all the sets of twin towers in this city. It's possible some of these would have been single mega towers. Also, many buildings are building up to the height limit all the time...Bosa, Pinnacle, 7th/Market, Manchester, ,OAP, and others. You must also understand that the height limit if 500' from sea level. This means that the maximum building height from grade is often 480' or slightly less. This is why you see a lot of towers like Bosa building to heights of 479'. The effective height limit is even lower in places of higher elevation such as the financial district.

An increased height limit would definitely free up developers to build higher and if instituted in the past we'd have a much taller skyline.