View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2017, 2:15 PM

Keep in mind the photo's above showing the comparison from 2011 to current and then out to 2020 do not include the Gulch area, which has significantly changed the skyline as well. Plus you have new developments for the Gulch that will add density and height to the skyline. We don't know the height of the Hyatt that will be built at 10th/Broadway, but many suspect it will be in the 25 to 30 story range unless they decide to go with a mid rise hotel that stretches down 10th as opposed to fronting Broadway. The proposed Buckingham Tower at 12th/Division is supposed to be 38 stories. And, the Endeavor at 12th/Broadway, which is approved will be 27 stories. So each of those buildings will extend the skyline westward and upward even more than it is today.

I wonder if the Omni developers are regretting not building a taller tower in SoBro. Eventually it will be blocked at every angle if developers continue with 20+ story buildings in that area. Of all the hotel properties, that one should have been the first to go over 30 stories simply because they are the marquee hotel for the convention center and they had the opportunity to do a design so much more significant than what they built. To keep from getting lost they added light elements to stand out, but that won't be enough to sustain their visibility as SoBro grows taller and denser.

I'm still hoping someone will take the first step to shift the skyline southward in SoBro like the Chicago developer planned to do but pulled out. Adding multiple high rises along the edge of SoBro will give more depth to the skyline from that angle and it will stretch the skyline when approaching from the east. I want to see peeks of the skyline over some of the hills as you drive into downtown and then have various vistas to take it all in as you drive around the loop. Right now the only area in which you don't get any skyline view is the northwestern part of the loop from Jefferson Street around to Rosa Parks Blvd.