View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
As a former New Yorker (albeit briefly) I love rail and mass transit, I dream of a day when we can all take fast rail (or hyperloop or whatever) to our jobs and out to eat and virtually everywhere..... however at the time, most rail ends up slower and taking longer than driving and is equally as expensive (I out drive SEPTA rail every morning on 495, and I've looked into taking the train multiple times, but according to schedules and coworkers who have opted for rail, it turns a 60 minutes car ride into a 1:45-2 hour train/bus ride), if they did do anything it would have to be subsidized heavily like most government rail lines in the US, and I don't think the PA state or regional governments/municipalities have the stomach for spending millions-billions annually on rail systems that only a handful of people use.
This really depends on where people work. If someone works in center city/university city the train should be competitive to driving/parking. But that competitiveness goes down if multiple modes of transportation are needed to get to the Navy Yard, City Line Ave., etc. But the shuttle from Jefferson to the Navy Yard adds ~30 minutes to a one-way trip yet the shuttles are bursting at the seams.

It also depends on traffic patterns. It regularly takes over an hour to go from KOP/Conshohocken to center city in the morning rush, a distance that is only 20-25 miles. Forget about the time, the sheer stress of 20 miles of bumper to bumper traffic pushes people to the train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
wilmington to CC Philly is not 2 hours. IT's not as fast as we would like, but it's not that bad. The fact that it's on Amtrak territory certainly doesn't help as their trains take priority.
Regular trains are ~55 minutes and expresses are 40-45. But there aren't many expresses. Amtrak doesn't help, but a good portion of the line is 4 tracks and Amtrak should be able to dispatch it better.