View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 9:33 PM
Frigidus Maximus

"It's meant to rise to more than twice the height of nearby Museum Tower, which MoMA built in the 1980s, and will define a whole new scale in the neighborhood.

Its 1,200-foot (365-meter) height would cast MoMA's sculpture garden into almost perpetual shadow. Perhaps that's fitting, since MoMA sold the 17,000 square foot lot to developer Hines for $125 million a year ago. The deal allows the museum to add 50,000 square feet spread over three levels of the new building. "

Excuse me, but since is spitting distance of the Trump Tower and Rockefeller Center considered a low rise neighborhood?

This building isn't an abuse of zoning, it's an artful response to it. So the sculpture garden will be in "perpetual darkness." Most of the "art" there deserves to be in the dark anyway, and at any rate, statues don't really need sunlight in which to grow, do they? (sarcasm intended)

I'm shocked that an architecture critic of all people would object to this stunning true work of art for NY's skyline on the basis of zoning conformance.

I ❤️ NY