View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2005, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheldane
Hi SunCity-

I have a general question: Are all of India's major cities growing quickly, or some more than others? Where would you rank the major cities as far as grownth in population? What about growth in economic/wealth terms?

When thinking of major cities I'm wondering about:
Calcutta/Kolkata
Bombay/Mumbai
New Delhi
Madras/Chennai
Hyderabad
Bangalore
Gangetic Plain (Lucknow, Kanpur, Varanasi, etc)

Also, what is your perception of growth in Pak & Bangl?
Lahore
Islamabad
Karachi
Dakka
Chittagong

Thank you for your time and attention!
Sorry for the delay.

WOW that's several questions...

I am no expert nor have I visted all cities in the recent past. So information is based on what I read on the net or at other forums.

Quote:
Are all of India's major cities growing quickly, or some more than others?
There has been an economic boom in all major cities but it is not even across all of India nor is it even across any particular city.

Quote:
Where would you rank the major cities as far as grownth in population?
We may have to wait till 2011 to get a correct picture. A problem that I have noticed is that none of the cenuses or projections mention the area of a city/metro area. So comparison is not often apples for apples. Plus many cities expand by adding outlying areas and show a big population surge which not may not be true. The core city of Kolkata or the old core city of Mumbai showed little growth between 1991-2001. The suburbs showed big growths.

Quote:
What about growth in economic/wealth terms?
It's not even.

Quote:
What Also, what is your perception of growth in Pak & Bangl?
From what I have read and heard, they are registering good economic growth/boom also. Dhaka seems to be booming when it comes to highrises.