View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 13, 2005, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007
^
Why do so many people still think Detroit makes only crappy cars?

Has anyone looked at quality rankings lately (like JD Powers)? Detroit cars hold their own against European and Japanese cars these days.
Because I've driven them and had family members who've driven them. I still see things like my parent's PT Cruiser that had a bad oil leak around 30K miles and someone at work who had to replace an entire engine in a 4 year old Malibu. I can also see how terrible GMs especially have aged. A 10-year-old GM usually has fading paint, broken parts and generally looks like crap. Granted it makes a difference if the car is garaged and well-driven. I also dislike the styling of pretty much any Chrysler product with their new "muscle car-ish" designs and many GMs look like 10-year-old styling, although they're starting to catch up on styling. I think the new Cobalt is a decent looking car (I'll only consider small, high-mileage cars) but I doubt if I'd buy one because I'd be afraid of getting burned when it starts falling apart in 3 or 4 years. Ford's styling isn't bad either.

Those quality ratings really don't tell you much. Most are based off how many of a certain model come back to the shop in the first 6 months or first year. To me the real quality is when you can hit 100K miles without anything other than expected maintenance. That's why I drive a Nissan.