View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
The word suburb has kind of changed meaning into any city that is secondary to the primary one in the metro area. Oakland is still a suburb of San Francisco and Newark is still a suburb of New York City. So even if a city like Mississauga develops a bonafide downtown with offices, hotels and night clubs it'll still be a "suburb". Maybe we need a new word to distinguish between the different types of suburbs.
Exactly what I think too. This is the fairest assessment I can give with the city that I live in. Mississauga is totally not a stereotypical suburb, but its current situation is not elevated enough to be acting as a St. Paul to a Minneapolis or a Fort Worth to a Dallas (i.e. not a stereotypical city).

So, Mississauga as an Oakland or a Newark is definitely fair.

Burnaby doesn't seem to be a typical suburb too. Laval? Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Main roads with no sidewalks.
Where in Hurontario Street, Dixie Road, Burnhamthorpe Road, Dundas Street, Mavis Road, etc. does one see ZERO sidewalks?

Currently, admittedly yes, there are no sidewalks because they are snow-covered, but I still think that this is an exaggeration.

Fine, Ninth Line. Yes, but that was recently annexed by Mississauga from Milton. So that makes sense. But even Ninth Line itself is not really a main road.

Cookie cutter was also a fair assessment, but the latest developments are more grid-like, unless you consider it a grid-style cookie cutter. And admit it, despite the development style, they still planned for pedestrian pathways that lead to bus stops, hence it's way better than US suburbs.