View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 3:51 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Good guess - will be a new NBC show, "Chicago Fire". Apparently produced by the creator of Law & Order.

Also, it seems they are trying to make it more realistic by including Da Mare.
Law & Order always included the real New York mayors, too, so it's not too surprising that a show created by the same guy would do something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Wow, this has flop written all over it. I don't see how they can make a serialized drama about firefighting... each individual fire is usually a freak occurrence, so there are no bad guys.
That's never been a strong point of Law & Order - and once you do that, it ceases to be a show about firefighting and becomes a show about a bunch of guys who happen to fight fires.

Not to get too O/T... I watched The Chicago Code when it was on, but it just wasn't a very good show. The Beast was awesome, but couldn't last after Swayze passed away.
Say what you will about the Law & Order, but I think its length of staying power and the enormous number of successful spin-offs it had speaks to its popularity and success as a format. Obviously not ever spinoff was a raging success, but I wouldn't bet against the guy's track records with this Chicago firefighter show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Shameless does a great job of giving the neighborhood feel.
Shameless first season was a bit rough - I think it was a mistake for the episodes to so closely mirror the original UK episodes - but the second season was really excellent. I was a big fan of the UK original, and was skeptical of a US version, but it's won me over to be a big fan partly because the acting is great and partly because I like that they use the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Has anybody seen The Boss? How is that show? I don't even know what channel it's on, or when it comes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWChicago View Post
Boss is a bizarre show (on Starz), like King Lear set in a realistic Chicago, so it has a really strange juxtaposition of tones. It makes very good use of city locations, almost as good as The Beast did (anyone remember that show? Patrick Swayze's last work?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
My best friend worked on the first season of Boss and is hoping to get a call soon for the second season - he said Kelsey Grammar was incredibly nice and great to work with, in addition to everyone else on set.
I love Boss, too. It really does an excellent job with the city, and its "fiction" certainly has a lot of overlap with reality (though not completely - I don't think modern corruption here is nearly as deadly as it is in the show).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
In other filming news, the Wachowski siblings are rumored to be filing not one but THREE films in Chicago, perhaps starting some time this summer. Unconfirmed at this point but would be pretty cool nontheless (I believe a while ago someone had mentioned something about their studio on the N. side of the City still being around and operational ?)
That would be awesome.