View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I understood, having seen Hayward's post, that some kind of year-round plant wall would be possible in Chicago. My point was that offering any example from Madrid -- without commenting whether the example would also survive somewhere very cold -- was pretty useless, since Madrid's average low temps are above freezing all months of the year. Chicago has a big fraction of the year with below-freezing nightly temps and of course weeklong stretches below freezing. And then we add the fact of the exposure to the open lake.

Also, a general question, is it more challening for all these vaunted prairie grasses to survive in a vertical installation (which also won't be tended to as carefully as, say, the city does the street planters)? I'm not familiar with how they are planted in that vertical configuration.

I mean, if it hasn't been done long-term before in Chicago (please point out exceptions if that's wrong), isn't it reasonable for one to conclude that this render's exuberance is more property marketing folly than realistic?
So you're arguing that plants cannot grow along a wall in Chicago but they can in Madrid because of the weather?