Thread: Calgary Roads
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 5:47 AM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
I know there are often reasons why things aren't done, but perhaps instead of building 4 car stations - at great expense, the money should have went towards the long awaited downtown tunnel. If that was built and allowed faster service then it would have been a better result. Stand by the train tracks heading north from downtown at 5:30. You'll see a lot of 1/2 full train cars. You'll also see surprisingly empty train cars in the morning. I'm not sure what happened, but it seems we no longer need 4 car trains (yet anyway)

You're correct - all idea's come with costs. I think most of the ideas I mentioned though wouldn't be as expensive as 1 overpass. And I certainly wouldn't expect them to occur overnight, or even succeed right away. But future generations might be happy.

(I know I said I'd quit yapping so much, but I'm just replying to questions lol)
The half full train cars wont be that way for long. Those are usually just the downtown line anyway. The crowfoot / shawnessy line is always packed during rush hour and getting more and more packed everyday. I appreciate the observations and the fact that you care to comment, but the trains are never half full on the line that actually goes somewhere. When the west LRT is connected, there wont be anymore half full trains. Part of the really selfish me wishes that they would always be half full on the downtown line...oh well, at least I got 3 years riding basically half-full trains!