View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 5:45 AM

Well, we all agree that we're talking global averages, right? Most countries have several main cities, it seems to me. Countries with one main city that's the center of everything are the exception rather than the rule.

For example, it's estimated that at some point (a few decades in the latter half of the 1800s), 70% of the wealth in Canada was held by people in Montreal's Golden Square Mile. And that's only one neighborhood.

Also, FWIW, while confirming the aforementioned stat, I happened to stumble upon this (see last sentence).
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
From the 1790s, the anglophone business leaders of Montreal, who included and succeeded the men of the Beaver Club, started to look beyond Old Montreal for spacious sites on which to build their country homes. They developed the farmland of the slopes of Mount Royal north of Sherbrooke Street, then nothing more than a quiet country lane. The mansions they built there came to represent a period of prosperity when Canada was at its economic peak and Montreal was its unrivalled cultural and financial capital.
Would you say most countries nowadays have an unrivalled cultural and financial capital? Some do, obviously; some don't. At first sight I think most don't.