View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2013, 2:35 AM

The facebook group "Vintage St. John's" which Architype referenced in another post in the restaurant thread is really cool! Two places I dream of being able to visit is pre-great fire St. John's, and early 1900's St. John's. It's something about the nostalgia that enthralls me. I love everything about the early-mid 1900's; the music, the styles, the ways in which we communicated, and especially the cars, and the architecture. Modern cars and architecture depress me in comparison to the grandeur and extremely detailed designs of yesteryear. I guess you could say it's just the "romance" of it all. And knowing that it's something I will never be able to experience just makes me want to experience it all the more. Who know's, maybe I'd be begging for my iPhone and the internet it a week, but I really think I could be content without it all. I've always felt like I was born in the wrong era, ever since I was little haha!

Every time I see a group of people sitting together and literally everyone is on their phones, it really depresses me and makes me lose faith in humanity. Next time you're in a restaurant, look around. I've noticed the vast majority of people, big group or small, waiting for their food don't even open their mouths or look at eachother, only sit on their phones and be antisocial events. We've turned social events into more screen time. I'm certainly not against technology, I love the internet and cell phones, ect. but I believe they have their proper time and place. If we go out to a restaurant to catch up and you sit on your phone, I'm probably going to be a little upset. Wow.. this is turning into a much longer rant than I intended...

Basically, even though it's impossible, I really want to experience living in the 40's, 50's, or early 60's. Maybe it wouldn't be all I imagine, but I love virtually everything about that era.

Yeah.. Check out that "Vintage St. John's" Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/VintageStJohns?ref=ts&fref=ts