View Single Post
Old Posted May 1, 2007, 11:27 AM
Registered Luser

Having lived in Vancouver and Calgary both for a number of years I can add a few to the list.

Vancouver/GVRD:
  • Royal City Centre (once Woolworth's Centre) in New Westminster. After Woolworth's went belly up stores started to leave and it was a while before Zellers moved in to occupy the old Woolworth's location. The design looks very much if not exactly like the London Galleria, so I suspect it was designed, built and owned by the same company. As with the London Galleria, the top level is now devoid of shops and almost entirely occupied with an HSBC call centre.
  • City Square in Vancouver. Besides the Safeway, I've never seen anything in that mall that is busy.
  • Kingsway Mall in Vancouver. D - e - d. Dead. If the liquor store or library ever left the place would echo. It's desperately needs a redesign.

Calgary:
  • Marlborough Mall WAS dead until Walmart moved in and the mall renovated. I used to work in the RadioShack store back in the 90s and I can recall many long, boring days without customers. Walmart revived the mall in my opinion, but it seems they insist that every mall they are attached to make it as difficult as possible to get from Walmart to the mall. Both Westbrook and Marlborough have built those stupid access corridors to separate the mall from Walmart as much as possible (and Marlborough even crowed about their "new access corridor." Pathetic).
  • North Hill Centre. It's dead most of the time and without the fitness centre or the residential towers no one would shop there. I still remember when the movie theatres occupied the mall.
  • Deer Valley Mall. Without Co-Op this mall would have nothing to drive its business even with the Zellers. I am surprised the Zellers has remained in business at that location because even on weekends it is extremely dead.
  • Beddington Town Centre. I agree with Policy Wonk; it's dead. Without the liquor store or London Drugs it would die. Hell, it's already dead.