View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 6:11 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post

Edit: Didn't catch that we had spilled onto a second page and were moving onto a second new rendering. Looks like the new project could be interesting and there is certainly room to redesign Doyle Street... but if they're not going to save and respect the stone front of the BMO there is no way I can support it. The BMO is a beautiful building, is irreplacable and should be retained. Modern could work alongside it. After all, the Second Cup bit/Rogues Roost is already tacked on and BMO has made some tasteless changes to it (doors and signs). So I really hope that around the corner from that round tower lies the old stone front. To lose the whole thing would be a huge loss to the city.

Photo by me in winter from a few years back
The design calls for complete demolition of this building and a cheap knockoff rebuilt like O'Carrol's and the Roy Building. This is much worse because the building is so much a part of Halifax and you will not get that level of sandstone and detail again, not to mention the replacement would be cheap concrete panels called sandstone like material. The plan calls for 8-9 floors so the existing structure could not accommodate the extra floors so the only plan is to demolish it. This is what happens when HRM doesn't care about quality heritage buildings.