View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 7:20 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I'd never even heard of Meridian Health. This really came out of nowhere.

As for the building, yeah, nothing groundbreaking, architecturally, but it's also better than what could have gone on the block. Schostak isn't exactly known for spending a lot of money on architects. I like the water element at the entrance, the balconies, and even the general massing of the whole thing. It's at least as tall as Compuware, which is a good scale for the square, below.

Lastly, it avoided my only real fear, and that's that the garage would find someway to intrude on the narrow frontage on the square (Detroit often finds a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory), so I don't really have much bad to say about it. And, symbolically, I think this will real provide a shot in the arm for new construction Class A office space, downtown. Everbody's kind of been waiting on the sidelines to see who'd take the first crack at it since the recession, and it looks like that company was Meridian Health. Hopefully, this gets Gilbert a bit more fired up to come up with something better for the Hudson's Block, which will be the next domino to fall.

Last edited by LMich; Sep 19, 2013 at 7:30 AM.