View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChills View Post
Speaking of parking, the city desperately needs to address the need for a large parkade in downtown.

It's obviously on a much smaller scale, but finding parking in St. John's is harder than just about any other city in Canada. At least in the larger centres such as Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, etc you can generally always get parking if you want to pay a premium, whereas it can sometimes be literally impossible to get a spot in downtown, and the problem is only going to get much worse. I can't count how many times I've tried to go out for lunch, or meet co-workers for drinks, and have seriously circled the three main roads downtown for 15 minutes only to give up trying for a spot.

Perhaps this should be a thread of its on, but does anyone have any suggestions on a location in downtown for a large public parkade? How far down underground can they drill (and is it even feasible given the solid granite I assume is underground in most downtown).
I, for one, don't think we need a large parade downtown. A large section of 351 is going to be public parking, and I believe a portion of Metropark is also going to be public parking. And I agree with signal, we should be discouraging people from using cars by improving public transit.