View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 23, 2014, 11:00 PM

I have to admit; I'm siding with the folks against Waye on this one (respectfully of course). Being located on a primary transit route and being with frequent bus service this would be a good site - but I'm going from memory the building sizes around there. Streetview shows roughly 2 stories - so is this a matter of 4 or 5 stories is more appropriate or is it the broader issue of the site is not appropriate? (I am asking the question for all, not just specifically for Waye)

But I wonder if there is a bigger issue in that with no Regional Centre Plan - there is no understanding of the ideal locations for intensification? If you look at some of the original images and discussions from RCP it spoke to identifying the sites on the main streets and leaving the lower density parcels further into the main streets alone. If it is the case that there is no real policy identified for where density should go (beyond the broad "in the Regional Centre") then of course this sort of application may cause some people difficulty because this wouldn't be a corridor, node or key density point. But from a planning perspective, as I said before, it's on primary/frequent transit.

Most cities end up with these applications and sometimes it's difficult - I've always wondered if policy should be created that gave a general outline of where the intensification should be when outside the main corridors and nodes (on primary transit, not in the middle of low density blocks and whatever else needed to be included). At least that way, if an application didn't meet any of the criteria, then it wasn't going to get an easy ride.

But this also begs the question of the point of an initiation report in the first place. While I have no problem with any Councilor objecting to an application, I've always believed that an applicant (who pays their fees and submits a complete application) is entitled to their opportunity to initiate an application. Halifax is the only city I know of that requires council to give the thumbs up to initiate an application, after an application has been made (and fees paid). Here in Calgary, you pay the feel, we evaluate your application - if it's a rezoning, you know that it's up to council in the end. Plus here, we'll hold a public hearing regardless of whether there is support for an application or not. But that's just the difference in Planning regs, I suspect.