View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2011, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Sorry 1ajs, but I couldn't resist jumping in with my own two cents on this.

In theory, Mosaic Stadium shouldn't work, but it does. A 30,000 seat stadium in a residential area with hardly any parking, yet people manage to make it in without any problems. I don't see why moving the stadium 3/4 of a kilometre east would all of a sudden cause insurmountable problems.

Personally, on the rare occasions when I've attended football games in Regina, I have left the car behind downtown and walked the short distance to Mosaic. With a stadium that's even closer to downtown, I would think that all of downtown Regina and the warehouse area north of the tracks would be used for parking. And given that most games are played evenings and weekends - a time when downtown Regina is not normally bursting at the seams - I don't see capacity being an issue.

The arguments being marshalled against the Regina complex echo the ones used against the MTS Centre, and we all know how valid those turned out to be. I think the Regina stadium is a great idea, provided of course that the province can afford such an ambitious structure. I think Winnipeg could take a lesson from its western neighbours in thinking big. By contrast, our sports facilities are certainly passable places to watch a game, but were never (and won't be, in the case of the football stadium) particularly impressive places even on day one. Good on Regina, I say. I don't think it would hurt if Winnipeg were embarrassed a bit by Saskatchewan's can-do approach to this. Maybe we might step up our game a little in response.
Now this is one of the best posts yet , besides all of migs ,good on you, good on sask for getting her done thankyou