View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2006, 9:57 AM
samsonyuen

From: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ry/TPNational/

THE QUESTION

If you had five minutes with Stephen Harper, what would you say to him about the

importance of culture to cities? THE ANSWER

"Much depends on the self image of the city. If a city wants to be considered in the same breath as other major cities in the world, then obviously it needs the same kinds of institutions that other cities have. Places like L.A. and New York spend hundreds of millions of dollars on major buildings. This country really has nothing. It's long overdue, except I'm not sure what they're doing is the right thing, whether it's grand enough or artistic enough."

Ken Finkleman, veteran TV creator (The Newsroom, At The Hotel)

THE QUESTION

Critics say that in order to build a culture, a city must bridge the gulf between its major cultural institutions and the independent art scene. Can that happen here?

THE ANSWER

"The big institutions operate best as showcases for art that has become culturally accepted by the moneyed class. That's opera. And that's the art that ends up in the ROM and at the AGO. You can never institutionalize the avant-garde. You can never ever institutionalize originality. It's really the ability and the eye of the [museum directors and curators] who can bring it to people's attention."

Deepa Mehta, filmmaker

THE QUESTION

Toronto's new Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts will be used for opera and ballet performances. Smaller ensemble

concerts are also planned, and the space will be rented out for functions. What would you put there when it's dark?

THE ANSWER

"You have to think about a place that's associated with an art form. It's like the movies. You go to see a movie in a cinema hall. And the cinema hall becomes associated with seeing films. So when it's not showing films, what should it be doing? I think, perhaps nothing. And maybe that's not politically correct, but I think that's fine."