View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 7:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
This was only a wannabe Parisian building anyway. I can tell. Originals of this type here are more subtle and prettier. Also perfectly fit the older urban fabric they sit on, which is not so much the case over there.

So why being pissed by this demo? It's not like they would be tearing down an unparalleled and truly historic Art Deco building. This is no Chrysler building, huh. Just an average pastiche, even when it would supposedly be old.

Sometimes you simply must admit you can't have what others own. NYC wasn't meant to be a pastiche of Central Paris. Something contemporary and taller will be much better there.

Nope, I want this building prserved and restored because it is an old characterful building that is more interesting than another quick profit making modernist/pomo box (which is likely to rise here). Too many of these old buildings are being demolished in midtown and if continues, the street will be less interesting. Don't want to see all of midtown looking like 6th Ave or Park Ave with bulky corporate monoliths that are unloved by most. I don't care if it's not a perfect representation of a Parisian building or not, that doesn't matter to me. Frankly, it's a fine old NY building, pastiche or not. Without these buildings, NY would be some dull art-deco and modernist wasteland (not everyone loves art-deco!). The city is known for it's melange of various styles due to architects going over to study in Europe and bringing back ideas in the past. If you are a purist and hate buildings that differ to your classics or mix and match different styles, you won't like NY. Stay in your safer Paris, Romes, etc. NY doesn't have to admit to anything. It is proud and unapologetic of it's dynamic mix of styles of European origin and never intended to replicate any other city. That is why it is important to keep some of the older smaller buildings like this that give the city some flavor and character that newer buildings often white-wash away because as we know, they don't build stonework like they used to anymore due to costs/labor, etc. I don't think anyone wants to see NYC's midtown be HK"s Central or Sao Paulo - basically just modernist glass or concrete towers.

Also,Art-deco is a later phenomenon in NY history. Before that NYC was full of old ornate European-inspired buildings that in my opinion, are far nicer than most plainer art-deco towers. I.E, the new Waldorf vs the Old Waldorf. The Old one was far superior. NY is not defined only by Art-Deco just because some of it's major scrapers are of that style. Therefore, just because this building isn't a historic art-deco tower as you say, doesn't mean it's not worthy of preservation.

Last edited by aquablue; Aug 22, 2017 at 8:40 PM.