View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
.... sure lets build a metro line that will sit empty. It is possible to run LRTs on the less used portions of the system.. it doesn't have to be subway or nothing. Most cities are building LRT anyways.. (such as Paris)
This is where I disagree. Toronto is a city where people actually want to use transit and do use transit. Subways won't sit idle, but they need to be appropriate. For example, Sheppard shouldn't have been a subway in the 1990's, they should have been building a DRL and started planning construction for it 20 years ago.

Here is where I differ with the Ford people: rather than keep on this subway train (pun not intended), why not end the silly bickering to convert Sheppard to a subway and connect it into the new Scarborough subway and now start focusing on a DRL?

These three projects are a done deal for the most part, so why not start promoting and pushing for subway DRL? That would benefit all Torontonians, regardless of political affiliation. Ford is just so toxic, and the far left has to get off this LRT-only trend.

I do agree with doady to the extent that Toronto has to start thinking in terms of what it is: a global city, not compete with Portland, Denver, or Phoenix for transit options. Toronto is an urban city of transit users that is emerging onto the global scene very rapidly, it needs to have the right attitude.

Where I disagree with those only-subway voices is when you look at places like Berlin. Berlin has a tremendous light rail network along side its heavy rail subways and commuter system. An "all of the above" approach is best. Not one or the other.