View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 6:32 PM

I like what was done at Shouldice with the Hellard, Stampeder, and Encana fields. The Hellard field actually has a capacity of 2000, which is pretty cool. Something like this for soccer would be a good start for a PDL club.

Although they are technically for soccer as well (my CUSA team has played there in the past), there are a few things that make these tricky for playing/watching soccer. First, the football markings are obscenely bright and the yellow soccer lines are difficult to see. Not to mention the soccer sidelines are a few yards outside of the giant, thick football sidelines. Second, the stands are pretty far from the field and elevated - great for football, but not ideal for soccer. But beggars can't be choosers!

I say this knowing full well that the fields were made for football first, and soccer a distant second. And I also don't think that Shouldice would be a good location for a professional club (even a small one) as transit isn't ideal and parking would be a nightmare.

SAIT has a lovely artificial field with no football markings, but no room for stands. Does anyone know if the soccer centre in the SE ever built artificial fields? I know that there were plans, but parenthood and an aging body has meant that I haven't been playing lately and I haven't been down to the soccer centre in a while. Not saying that it would be a good location for a mini-stadium, however.