View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 5:25 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
OT, but do Chicagoans view Immanuel as being a capable mayor? It doesn't seem like the guy has made the news nationally in the last few years, and he obviously has failed to solve the crime problem...
Well Rahm is fairly popular with a few controversial issues such as his handling of the Chicago Teacher's Union strike and of course the crime issue. As far as being a national news maker I have seen him on national news quite a bit, at least as much as I would expect a Chicago mayor to be. Then again I am looking at this from a Chicago perspective where I am purposely looking for times our mayor is on any national media outlet and remember it well when he does, from the perspective of an outsider perhaps he isn't making news that often. In general Chicago mayors don't make the news as much as any mayor of NYC but generally Daley and Emanuel are closer to household names than LA mayors are but then again people living in the west coast media market might disagree with me. My bias is that I am a bit of an insular Chicagoan so I am keenly aware I might have a distorted view of what the nation and world thinks of our big news stories.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."