View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 29, 2006, 4:42 AM
South Side Black Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego
gza,
"A Yellow Line extention has no bearing on me, but if it benefits you and your type up there then go for it. "
dude, what?
Yeah I certainly should have worded that better; it was much too informal. Sorry bout that cuz I didn't mean anything malicious by it. I just meant, you and those who would also benefit from a potential Skokie lengthening, as that was my assumption then.

But as you clarify your position it looks like you wouldn't even have much (or any) use for it yourself, but are instead speaking for others who may benefit. If that's the case, then I suggest you let that happen when they get around to it, or IF they do so, or even decide it's worthy to get on. To quote McCartney, I "wisper words of wisdom: Let it be." We've already got enough contrroversy on what we're gonna do with the stuff inside the city. I get you about trying to find a way to let Skokie stay online and useful tho. But again it doesn't make me any difference what they ever do with the Swift. In fact, here's where Norsider's opposition is fine by me. And it seems also to be a more appropriate case study for your concerns about potential ridership justifying necessity. I.e. it's not only a question of, are the riders there for a longer Yellow Line(?), but also of, would many even miss it if it goes offline? To be honest I'm rather uninformed on the subject, as I don't go out that way (I seldom leave city limits on any side of town). But--based on my understanding that Swift ridership is very light and my knowledge that service is very infrequent--it seems to me the answer to both is "no."

But much as you may be speaking for others, I am also. I wouldn't use a Red Line south of 95th very often becuase my life and associated L-riding patterns take me north. I DO have use for it tho cuz I got family and other relevant things down there and on occasion I patronize the shopping area 'round Michigan that we speak of (which actually looks that way, generally speaking, from 103rd on down) as well as the lesser commericalized strips of the Halsted drag down there--there's sum good shit for cheap there especially on Michigan. But when I'm going down there now I'd MUCH rather drive--in fact unless my piece-of-shit car (anyone ever hear the Adam Sandler song of that name?) is acting up, I won't go there UNLESS I'm driving.

But I mainly speak for a larger-than-y'all-think constituency (which makes someone who shuns the culture of public office sound like a public official), that is pissed about the bus rides (like the #34 and #119 that run past the scene of Segun's pics--both shit routes) way up to and way down from 95th. It can be an excruciating trip; I can't stress that enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego
Of course, what is probably clear, is that gza stands to benefit directly from a red line extension, and I stand to benefit directly from the Circle Line now I just need to convince him that he and so many others would benefit from the Circle too!
If by that you mean, being an important and heavily-used route that will help fund further improvements and enhancements that we all agree are necessary citywide, then I been convinced since 2002, man.

But if you mean, giving me a better way from point A to point B based on where I go in town--that would make my L-riding life complete--so much so that I'm itching for it to come online? Nah I'm not feelin' it. But again I'm just speaking for me and mine, is all. Just as you are.

I'm appreciating this discussion both in its depth and health (i.e. it's been contentious but hasn't come close to deteriorating, tho it's had a fair amount of misconception and misinterpretation). Since I kept it in the house and and clear-headed this Friday nite I'm all about adding to it now. And I'm down with keeping it going if y'all are. But I don't think our beliefs are (or at least SHOULD be) as incompatible as they may seem. Certainly we can disagree on things and have legit reasons on why that is but it seems like we all want the same thing to manifest eventually--whether we recognize that or not.

Last edited by chitowngza; Apr 29, 2006 at 8:35 AM.