View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 2:59 PM
somewhere in-between

I was reading the meeting minutes from the City Commission's 1/16/2018 meeting, and the motion to adopt an ordinance to rezone the 243 parcels located between W. Lovell Street and Stockbridge Avenue from Zones CC, CN-1 and M-1 to Zones CCBD, CN-1, CN-2 and RM-36 failed for lack of support. Not sure what the city's plan is now. Eight public comments all expressed opposition, for various reasons:

(from Post #198)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Local residents are opposing a rezoning effort that would reduce the possibility of larger commercial developments in Southtown. Residents are protesting the proposed change on the grounds that it might reduce their property values if the Community Commercial District, which allows for larger buildings, is changed to a mix of four different zoning districts: CCBD, CN-1, CN-2 and RM-36. Most of the parcels in question would be changed to CN-2 (neighborhood commercial district) which is a more restrictive zone. The city believes that the rezoning will encourage mixed-use developments in the neighborhood.

EDIT: This sounds like Nimbyism, in a different form. I think that there is concern that the rezoning would make it easier for thinks like gas stations, fast food joints, and liquor stores to be built, which could devalue adjacent residential parcels. Whereas if the zone remains CCBD, these types of commercial uses are harder to build, and larger apartment or office structures are easier to build, which tend to increase land values. If that is the case, then I support the sentiment of the neighborhood residents. I also think the city has been having a tough time getting developers to do much of anything in this area, and are thinking let's open it up to other uses.
By the way, I don't think I ever mentioned that the City Commission unanimously approved a motion to rezone Mayor's Riverfront Park from zone M-1 to CMU at the regular 12/18/2017 meeting, after receiving several public comments from local businesses in opposition of the change:

(from Post #173)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
The City Commission agreed to change the zoning at Mayors' Riverfront Park from M-1 to CMU at Monday's session. There still will be a public hearing on the issue, on December 18.