View Single Post
Old Posted May 3, 2011, 1:08 PM

I can only speak for the UK. Here, as in most places, there is a pretty widespread ignorance about history in general - a lot of people, for example, have never heard of Magna Carta. World War II is pretty much the only major historical event that you can guarantee everyone has heard of.

Having said that, amongst people who have an interest in history, I'd say Lincoln is a major figure. The fact that he is associated with the end of slavery makes him a universal hero for human rights, along with the likes of Ghandi. He's probably more famous here than William Wilberforce, who led the abolition campaign in England.

Most of these people will know about his assassination and would recognise phrases like 'last full measure of devotion' - though they probably wouldn't know that it was Lincoln who coined them.

In London, as well as the statue in Parliament Square, there is a smaller one just inside the back entrance of the Royal Exchange, which is now a fancy restaurant. I don't know why it's there, but I'm kind of glad that it is.

kfcatles, flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/4240762...n/photostream/ Some Rights Reserved