View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 6:15 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by djvandrake View Post

It's going to be very hard to decide between Pelli and SOM.

I absolutely LOVE the idea of the 5.4 acre park on the roof of the terminal in Pelli's proposal. Pelli's tower is sleek, elegant and beautiful. This is an awesome proposal.

The tower in the SOM design is by far the best (IMO). It's graceful and bold at the same time. The curvature of the structure and the twist in the form is most pleasing and complimentary. The base design is a masterstroke, just magnificent! The terminal design is also quite artisitc, open, light filled and beautiful. I was very impressed with the LEED standards that SOM is trying to obtain.

I'm sorry, but I really dislike the Rogers proposal. I normally like his work too, but I think he went too far here. I don't think this tower fits the context of the SF skyline at all, and the terminal is almost an afterthought.

Right now my fav is the SOM proposal. All I can say is whoever wins, you bay area fourmers are DAMN LUCKY!
Of all the instant reviews here tonight, yours most succinctly states what I am thinking after this feast for the mind and senses that you have all so wonderfully provided. I would gladly live with any of the three designs and feel that a major development like this is long overdue in our City. I think that the SOM design just absolutely rocks though! It's elegant yet confident and did initially remind me of a modern version of the Eiffel Tower with touches of SOM's Big John (which I've always loved). I'm thrilled that this firm still has it in them to create a design like this.

Roger's design will draw the most public criticism and could well be too hard edged to accomplish what we all want to achieve here--for the majority of the population to admire and appreciate skyscrapers in our midsts.

I'm thrilled with all of this though and think that I won't be the only one having good dreams tonight!