View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 9:13 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Country Music at Centre 200...it's a sad day!

Sorry, just not a fan of country music...at all.

http://www.capebretonpost.com/index....=244330&sc=147

Quote:

Johnny Reid

CCMA male artist of 2008 Johnny Reid to perform at Centre 200

LAURA JEAN GRANT
The Cape Breton Post

SYDNEY — With a dozen years under his belt, Johnny Reid has learned a thing or two about what it takes to make it in the country music industry.

“I’ve been singing for a long time. This is my 12th year in the business,” said the Scottish-born Canadian singer-songwriter who now calls Nashville home.
“They say the biggest lesson you can learn in the music business is to get to know the people who are buying your music.”

And Reid will get a chance to learn a little bit more about the Cape Breton contingent of his fan base with a performance at Centre 200 in Sydney, Saturday at 8 p.m. He said the audience, first and foremost, can expect a good time.

“I bring some of the best musicians in the world to the stage. We’ve got a nice big band up there. They can expect a lot of heart, a lot of soul and a lot of passion. I think, above anything else, that’s kinda what I’ve been bringing to the table since I started,” said Reid.

Possessing a genuine passion for country music has been key to both surviving a career in music and connecting with fans, according to the Juno-nominated country singer.

“I’m in the music business because I feel like that’s what I’m supposed to be doing. I feel very fortunate because I’ve been able to make a living at something that I would do for free and I think people recognize that,” he said. “I’ve always been a big believer in people. I’ve always believed that people can recognize the truth and that’s what I’ve been trying to do. I’ve been getting up there, being myself, and singing the songs that I enjoy and singing the things that I care about.”

Reid’s star has been on a steady rise over the last few years, with the release of three albums in just four years. The first, Born to Roll, was released in 2005, and followed up in 2007 by Kickin’ Stones. With hits like Love Sweet Love, Darlin’, Thank You and the title track Kickin’ Stones propelling it, the album was certified platinum in Canada and earned him two Canadian Country Music Association awards for top-selling Canadian recording and top male artist in 2008.

So, after years on the road as the opening act for country stars like Brad Paisley, Martina McBride and Dwight Yoakam, Reid found himself the headliner of two tours in 2008, racking up over 120 performances — all while preparing for his next album.

“Last year I really had a great opportunity to get to know my audience and when I went into the studio (to record Dance With Me) I really had my audience in mind when making that record. It’s a really focused record. I think it’s probably the most focused record I’ve recorded both musically and lyrically, as well as artistically,” he said. “I’m very much like my audience so when I go and make a record, I just go in and make a record that I would love to listen to, that I would want to buy.”

That philosophy is proving successful for Reid, who released Dance With Me last month.

“The album went gold in less than 48 hours so the reaction was a good one,” said Reid, who will head back into the studio in May to record a Christmas album.

Tickets to Reid’s concert at Centre 200 are $56 and are available online at www.reservatech.net, by phone toll-free at 1-877-545-3330, or in person at the Centre 200 box office.
Hmmm...this went out on Wednesday, and he's playing tomorrow. Sounds like he was having some trouble selling tickets. Even though I don't like country music, I like to see successful concerts. I have no idea who this guy is, but if his management expected him to fill C200, he must have some kind of following.