View Single Post
Old Posted May 13, 2017, 2:34 PM

I'm really conflicted about One Journal Square. Like others here never thought that we could look to Councilman Richard Boggiano to be the voice of key support for the project but there is a big risk if things don't get moving soon we could look at more of the same when it comes to promises unkept and dreams deferred with the result being the same old vacant grassy, weedy eyesore for years to come. I get the reasons for denying the abatement, and can sympathize with them... I don't see a slew of people who want to donate to the Kushners and help them out and they don't do themselves any favors here. But I hope the lines of communication between them and the Fulop administration can stay open. I guess if the Kushners really want to build even without abatements, they can get it done. But I do hope for some resolution fairly quickly over the fate of the site... if they want to rework it without abatements with a greater residential/ retail component go to the Planning Board and get it done. Or decide to sell to a developer who can move relatively quickly here. But start as soon as possible to resolve this situation. It does no good at all for the site to bemain a vacant, constant reminder of lost promise and potential when it can and should be the key to Journal Square's transformation.

Hopefully the real estate expert Hamilton knows is wrong and with some luck and thought this can be a viable project much sooner than later.

I do agree though 100% with the Fulop Administration's souring on KABR and the Kushners for their plans regarding Bayfront. A CLOSED Orthodox Jewish community? Absolutely not.. I'm glad they've pulled their offer from the table as it defeats the entire purpose of developing the area around the Bay and 440. Remember Sam Le Frak originally wanted to make Newport a gated, closed community and Mayor Anthony Cucci to his credit told him if that was the plan he can go to hell... this would be about as bad if not worse. A vibrant, forward thinking new neighborhood should be the goal connecting with such developments as the NJCU community being built from West Side to 440 and the light rail connection to West Side will be a crucial element of that. The Kushner plan if had been developed would have been completely wrong for what was intended.