View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 6:21 PM

What's the problem with one-ways?
The problem with one-ways is that creates ‘speeding corridors’ that hurt most business which front them and destroys pedestrian quality. The argument that they make pedestrians safer is a dubious one. Sure pedestrians are safer with one-ways but that’s because pedestrians cower on the street corners fearing risk of life and limb if they dare try to cross at an un-signaled crosswalk. During the same period that one-ways were being created pedestrian activity decreased and auto dependency increased so ofcourse with less people walking there's going to be fewer accidents. One-ways also force traffic onto side streets and makes drivers go out of their way just to go around the block which increases traffic activity.

Why can’t certain streets, east of 16th Street, like J, I, 21st and 19th be converted to 2/1 streets? (Two lanes going in one direction and one lane going in the opposite direction)

I know that the cyclists (like myself and greenmidtown) want and deserve more bike lanes but I don’t know if J Street is appropriate for them considering the volume of traffic and the possibility of the introduction of a streetcar. I do know that L,N, P and Q streets east of 16th Street need to be converted back into two-ways. 21st and 19th could remain one ways but must be reduced to two auto lanes with bike lanes.

Why not a exclusive Metro Bus System?
The fact that RT buses use one-ways means very little to me. I don’t like those big, noisy buses on our neighborhood streets in the first place! I think there needs to be a smaller more attractive Metro Bus system with that works exclusively within the grid or at the very least in Midtown. I’d like to see quieter more eco-friendly buses that have a cool retro look-maybe something like the old London double-deckers and certianly NOT those corny fake cable car buses! These would be fun to ride and would be used by all classes of people. They'd be used exclusively in Midtown, North End, Southside and Downtown to give the Central City a distinctive, special character and give people a sense that they have arrived in the “city”.

The all-city buses and commuter buses should be confined to downtown or the periphery of Midtown. There needs to be bus (transfer) stations on the grid’s eastern and southern periphery that would force riders to change from suburban buses to Metro buses that are more appropriate for our mixed-use streets. It would also ensure the economic viability of the Metro bus system since it would force suburban riders to use the Metro bus to get to the peripheral stations.

Why is city hall so unresponsive?
The reason I don’t think our present city council structure works well for the people of the Central City is that most if not all of the council members live outside of the Grid. You can’t possibly know the solutions unless you first know the problem. Just hearing a few antidotes by a few curmudgeons and testimony by “traffic experts” who also don’t live with the problems on a daily basis doesn’t qualify them to make the decision. We need to change the district boundaries so that the all of the Central City is within a single council district and is represented by a council member who actually lives inside the grid.

Last edited by ozone; Mar 15, 2007 at 6:39 PM.