View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 7:03 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt AWACS View Post
you seem to hate Continental because there prices are inline with other normal and legacy carriers. Airlines cannot sell all there tickets at ten bucks and survive. It just doesn't work that way. I love Continental. They connect me to the world non-stop, I have Presidents Club membership, firsdt class upgrades and platinum status. For business travellers like me Continental is ranked #1 nationally all the time.
For spring breakers, bargin hunters and the like I am sure cheaper fares are desired but airlines just can't make money that way. Even Ryanair charges 100s for some walk up tickets. That is just how fare buckets work.
Skybus in the US only has 5-10 seats at $10 the rest are the same prices as other airlines. The airlines can see each others fares and available seats it is no secret.

But I, like everyone else love a bargin, don't get me wrong. I fly Europe to the US and back about once a month. Sometimes I pay cheaper fares living in Europe. For the same flight with a US address I could pay more. Sometimes it is vice versa. Airfares are crazy things.

Ciao,
AWACS
Exactly. Continental has been okay to me every time I fly them, even though I don't fly them nearly as often as you. They're one of the only American carriers that has decent standards on their international service. What I would like to see is some of the larger carriers go the way of Aer Lingus - that is, remain a mass-market brand but dramatically simplify their pricing structure and operate a more transparent, everyday low price kind of thing, even if the price isn't always as low as Ryanair or something. Often times it's only a bit more and the extra luxury is worth it.