View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothcat View Post
I've been away from this board for a while - thanks for posting a few articles Legen..dary.

I'm behind the Times-Free Press paywall now, but if I understand it, isn't the pictured project going to be a block north of the new Publix? I'm excited to see the continued development on that stretch of North Market, even if it's only two or three story buildings. If there is one recommendation I could make to the City, it would be to change that section of road from a narrow four-lane to maybe a three-lane with a new bike lane. Cars fly down that road (more than the 45 mph limit), which needs to be curtailed if it's going to be as walkable as Frazier Ave.

On another North Shore note, I spoke to one of the better-known developers in the City last week. Work is progressing on a building near the Cherokee Blvd/Manufacturers Road intersection to turn it into mixed use retail/apartments.

Finally... I was in Atlanta this weekend, and spent some time near Midtown/Piedmont Park, where my wife used to live. I know there are a lot of folks in Chattanooga that don't "want to be another Atlanta", but I am quite envious of some of their neighborhoods. We hit up a bar in the Virginia Highlands area on Saturday night, and I couldn't help but wish more of the outlying Nooga neighborhoods could re-develop a nightlife similar to that.
Are you talking about the old knitting mill getting redeveloped? I work for a local developer in Chattanooga and have had an eye on this building for the past year. It has a great opportunity to be redeveloped into apartments/condos with retail (existing)

Glad to have your local input. I just moved to Chattanooga last June and this city is starting to grow on me. I'm originally from Atlanta and my girlfriend/family still live there. Va Highlands is my favorite place to go when I go visit. It's a great atmosphere and has a wonderful vibe to it. North Shore to me has the most potential to be just like Va Highlands.