View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I disagree, and that's why I made my post. I don't think it's a fluke that it happened in Vancouver and not Toronto. There's something more at work here. It probably has something to do with the larger size of Toronto. Toronto has far more ethnic Chinese people than Vancouver, but they are a smaller contingent percentage-wise, which suggests that they are perceived as less of a "threat."

Which is not to suggest that there aren't inter-ethnic tensions in Toronto, of course.
I think it is the percent that makes the difference. Toronto's chinese population is not much larger than Vancouver's, but Vancouver's % is double Toronto's, and Richmond center is the most chinese concentrated place in the country. Also, the thing with Richmond is that it is still relatively central in the region, and lots of people pass through it and go there for meetings, activities, airport, etc. This is a bit different from Markham which is at the periphery of Toronto. Aside from the main chinatowns near DT Toronto and Vancouver, the chinatowns in toronto are more regarded as just small neighbourhoods with majority chinese shops. Political attention isn't really paid to those areas, just like all the streets scattered throughout the City of Vancouver lined with nothing but chinese shops.