View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 1:35 PM

SHH nailed a lot of stuff on the head there, I think his advise is solid. A few things I'd add:

Obviously check out campus before class starts. It's not huge, but it's definitely not small. There are probably 40+ buildings, however chances are she'll never have to go to most of them, and should just become more familiar with the main buildings (Education, Library, PE, Field House, Aquarena, Bruneau, Arts & Admin, Math, Science, Chemistry & Physics, University Centre, Earth Sci, and Engineering) Chances are these are the buildings she'll be spending most class time in. Some of the buildings have formal names that show up on online schedules (like the Education building is formally called The Hickman building). Besides hearing the library called its actual name (Queen Elizabeth II library, or more commonly the Q-E-2) these formal names are never used. Familiarize herself with the letter abbreviations for each building (SN for science building, ED for education). Finally, make sure to check out the munnel system; the underground tunnels that go around campus. They connect pretty much every building and use a silly subway-style color line to navigate. I avoided them forever because I was told that people would get jumped/mugged/raped in them in afterhours but this isn't true. I've been on campus for 6 years and nothing has happened, they're usually very busy and there are lots of cameras and security.

Now for the more fun part: definitely check out downtown like SHH said. The route 10 from campus will go directly into downtown and drive down water street. Get out and check it out. Presumably your daughter isn't of drinking age yet (19 here in NL) but if she is check out George Street. But there are plenty of nice bars/pubs on water and duckworth as well which can have a much nicer atmosphere for a casual drink with friends. If she likes coffee then downtown will be paradise. There are a lot (and I mean a lot) of coffee shops. You have your typical Tim Hortons, Starbucks, and Second Cup, but also plenty of great locally owned spots like Hava Java, Coffee & Co, Coffee Matters, and more I know I'm missing simply because I haven't been there before. And I can't say enough about how great Rocket Bakery is. Go there for coffee/lattes/baked goods and sit down and enjoy the old building. It's a hipsters paradise but I still enjoy it

Also take the time to check out the neighborhood near Rawlins Cross. It's fairly close to campus, and is really nice. I'd walk there if she has a car; the intersection can be a bit confusing/outright insane for non-locals (I haven't even attempted it ). Bannerman park is an absolutely lovely spot and a great place to unwind at any time of year. It's in this beautiful said neighborhood and is situated right next to the old Government House.

If your daughter is athletic in any way I really encourage her to join a local team for whatever she's in to. Ultimate Frisbee has caught on here like crazy and pretty much everyone I know plays in a league now. Rugby is also really big

I wouldn't worry about safety in the city. As long as you're smart you won't find yourself in trouble. But I guess coming from Calgary this is probably already known.

I guess the only thing I'd suggest is pack extra warm clothes. The months of June-October are delightful and make you forget exactly where you are....but once fall hits, boy.....