View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 6:26 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Very very cool. The Ohio looks like such a peaceful river, and I love those hills. I very much hope you sometime get a chance to paddle the Mississippi, perhaps from Alton (about 23 river miles north of downtown) with its amtrak access. The Mississippi has a very different personality (at least I think so) from the Ohio near St. Louis (which you may or may not appreciate, its a changable body of water with massive pools, shoals, sandbars, unstable - even sometimes scary confluences, shallow rapids at the chain of rocks, to a narrow, mean, barge crushing current downtown). Let me reiterate, if you do it, be careful at the chain of rocks. If you need any logistical information let me know. I have yet to paddle it, but i fish for big blue catfish at the sandbars near the confluence (and even downtown) and study the channel of the Mississippi north of and at St. Louis a lot, at least from the shore. Thanks again for this thread!

Last edited by Centropolis; Jul 6, 2010 at 7:00 PM.