View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 6:34 AM

Personally, I always liked the State Building. (Not that I ever saw it in person.) Its austerity fulfilled what it was supposed to be...a big official solid dutiful beast. Had some good deco detailing. Overall, not as good in the "Monumental Moderne" camp as Underwood's later Post Office/Court House.

I would hate to see a building go up on the site because the open space gives such a nice vantage point to City Hall. Anyway. Digging all the stuff lately.

Had some stuff left over from The Turning Point -- at one point, about two seconds before they're driving on BH, Olive before Third, they're here --

-- which is a stretch, because I was pretty sure I saw the Eastern in the bg. So I did a little poking around and sure enough...

...300 block of E 9th, looking West. Everything but the Pacific Fixture Co bldg on the far right is still there and doing well. Unbelievably.

Also, bad guy Eichelberger has his offices in no less than the gas works district. Driving up Commercial, making a left on Vignes:

I dig his office so much I want to have a fake backdrop constructed outside my window.

What's this building at the opening?

I like how before this we were talking about Criss Cross, starring Yvonne De Carlo, aka Lily Munster (who dances with Tony Curtis in his first screen role). And who do we have here in her first screen role? Lily Munster's counterpart Morticia Addams:

Carolyn Jones plays this Virginia Hill-styled witness; Hill, as Bugsy Siegel's gf, had been hauled before the Kefauver committee, upon which this film was based. Pretty cool.